Green Building Council Convention Giveaway!

One lucky Open Source Green member will WIN an all-access ticket to the Green Building Council SA Convention from 3-5 October at the Century City Conference Centre. Strap in for the #RaceToZero!

How to enter:

1. Check out the convention programme
  2. Reply to this post with what you are most looking forward to at the convention
  3. Share on social media with #GBCSA2018! Get your network to engage with and share your post - the forum post with the most likes and comments wins

T’s & C’s apply

hello - looking forward to the 1A: URBAN PLANNING FOR SOUTH AFRICA’S NEW NORMAL

As per the theme of the convention I am most looking forward to the program session: 3A: THE RACE TOWARDS ZERO WASTE. Currently this is uncharted territory as no building has yet achieved a certification for the Net Zero Waste Green Star tool… who will be the first.

Hi :slight_smile:

I am definitely looking forward to all topics listed in the agenda but in particular 1B. Better Together : The Power of Collective Action in the Built Environment and the closing , Community Driven Efforts That Promote Socially Equitable, Environmentally Resilient Communities.

Such an amazing line up of speakers and topics . This event will be highly engaging . Must see for any business that is looking at conscious corporate behavior.

Very difficult choice and the options are truly great! Top of my wish list is: 3D: HOW CLIMATE CHANGE MAY BE REVERSED, AND WHY IT MATTERS. A WORKSHOP HOSTED BY KEYNOTE PAUL HAWKEN

Backed by years of experience as a successful serial entrepreneur of ecologically-conscious business, Heads of State have turned to Paul Hawken for input on economic development, industrial ecology and environmental policy. Four of his books are US best-sellers, with one book hailed by former US President, Bill Clinton as one of the world’s most important books. This workshop will give you the opportunity to learn from and interact with a global industry leader. Paul is currently working on Project Drawdown which seeks to identify, research

and model the most substantive, existing solutions to address climate change. The Project gathers and presents the best available information, creating a platform to understand the bene cial nancial, social and environmental impact of these solutions during the next thirty years and help facilitate their implementation.

PAUL HAWKEN

Environmentalist, Entrepreneur, Author, and Activist

#GBCSA2018

I am mostly interested on the keynote by Paul Hawken
“3D:HOW CLIMATE CHANGE MAY BE REVERSED, AND WHY IT MATTERS”

Climate change is the most challenging/concerning factor, mainly formed by the emissions of CO2 & other gases in our lovely atmosphere, thus now even making it hard and forming a confusion on our Meteorology departments to predict audible weather data. i.e. A weather station records a very heavy rain with thurnderstorm​:cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:, but we receive a very adverse temperature of a pretty hot day of fully clear sunshine :sunny:.

So i definitely want to know on the ideas and tools that could be implemented to reverse Climate Change

Sounds great. Did you also see the one on the business case for building green? That also seems to be very interesting.

We are on the verge of launching an initiative for a local major city to become Africa’s first region for Net Zero Neighborhoods - I am very excited to hear the speakers on “Cities Race Towards Net Zero” + “Urban Livability Dynamics Within the Gauteng City Region” + “A Case for Sustainable Off-Grid Homes and Sustainably Sourced Materials”

Have you read any of his books? I have “The Ecology of Commerce” if you’d like to borrow? “Blessed Unrest” and “Natural Capitalism” had a huge influence on my thinking re sustainability. Cannot wait to see him talk in person. Hope you win so you are there too!

The programme of the GBCSA Convention looks amazing with lots to choose from! So this is a tough choice, bit I am most looking forward to is 1B: BETTER TOGETHER: THE POWER OF COLLECTIVE ACTION IN THE BUILT ENVIRONMENT. The reason being that I believe collaboration from everybody (communities, professionals, government) is important to move the green agenda and sustainable living forward to where it needs to be. I would love to hear what Tshepo Ntsimane has to say regarding “The Building Blocks of Collaboration Within the Built Environment”.

Though, I must say, I am also looking forward to the following:

1E: TAKING GREEN HOME: TANGIBLE CHOICES FOR THE FUTURE OF
SOUTH AFRICAN HOMES - I think this is important as we need mass involvement of the public with their homes going green to make a massive positive environmental and social impact!

2B: THE BOTTOM LINE: PROVING THE FINANCIAL VALUE OF GREEN
BUILDINGS - As green building is not a requirement of the building industry, we still need to “sell” the advantage of building green. And in any project, the cost is always a high priority. Thus, it would be very interesting and crucial to listen to this presentation.

3A: THE RACE TOWARDS ZERO WASTE - As I have only in the past few years implemented waste reducing in my personal life it has really impacted my thinking on the way I, and we all, live. Our lifestyles are filled with so much waste generation its devastating! We need to RACE TOWARDS ZERO WASTE!!!

Hope to see you all there! :slight_smile:

The #GBCSA2018 programme is jam packed with goodness! A few of the sessions I look forward the most: Plenary 1 sets the scene, touching on some tough points and getting the conversations started. looking forward to Session 1A: Urban Planning for South Africa’s New Normal looks interesting followed by 1F: Trendspotting with global sustainability leaders panel! The #RacetoZero is on!!

I’m most looking forward to 1D: “How a Green Interior revitalizes the lived experience inside established buildings”. #GBCSA2018
I’m passionate about ‘green interiors’ and believe that well-designed fit-out space can have a major impact on not only the environment but the well-being of occupants. I would love to attend this session and engage with the speakers and/or part-takers on the ‘green interiors’ topic.

The convention always brings interesting perspectives to the fore! Hope you win!

#GBCSA2018!

I am looking forward to How CLIMATE CHANGE MAY BE REVERSED @ The Green Buildings Council Convention in CT next month.

3D: HOW CLIMATE CHANGE MAY BE REVERSED, AND WHY IT MATTERS.
A WORKSHOP HOSTED BY KEYNOTE PAUL HAWKEN
Backed by years of experience as a successful serial entrepreneur of ecologically-conscious
business, Heads of State have turned to Paul Hawken for input on economic development,
industrial ecology and environmental policy. Four of his books are US best-sellers, with one
book hailed by former US President, Bill Clinton as one of the world’s most important books.
This workshop will give you the opportunity to learn from and interact with a global industry
leader. Paul is currently working on Project Drawdown which seeks to identify, research
and model the most substantive, existing solutions to address climate change. The Project
gathers and presents the best available information, creating a platform to understand the
beneficial financial, social and environmental impact of these solutions during the next thirty
years and help facilitate their implementation.
PAUL HAWKEN
Environmentalist, Entrepreneur, Author, and Activist

Fantastic. Let’s change world!

Agreed Sean, with a combined effort changes can be made :muscle::muscle:

What is highlighted here - the research and modeling of the most substantive solutions - is incredibly important Liesl! And of course, followed through with implementation of these solutions. If you do get to attend this workshop, please disseminate the information as widely as you can!

Thanks Noelle, appreciate it!

I did, there’s actually a good few great presentations and workshops I have my eye on…

That’s a deal, thanks Francini