Low VOC paint brand

voc
paint

Hi there

Can anyone with recommend a good brand of low VOC paints on the South African market? We are looking at repainting the inside of our apartment block and I would like to encourage the use of something that will not affect the health of the residents.

Thanks

Hallo

I have been using paints from http://www.laminincoatings.co.za/ at home. They have both low and zero VOC products and the quality is very good.

Regards

Plascon, Dulux and Midas also have Low-VOC ranges available at no real cost difference. I believe that typically ‘water-based paints’ (as opposed to ‘solvent-based’) will be low or zero-VOC, but ask the supplier for a datasheet which states the VOC levels in g/l. For typical indoor wall and ceiling applications you should aim to be below 16 g/l.

Great, thanks so much Anninonymous and Francois! I will look into all of these options

earthworks magazine recently did an article looking at sustainability of different kinds of wallcoverings, which included some info on paint - you can check it out here. It mentions brands like Pronature and Versus, and Ive also recently heard that Dekro has a VOC-free range.

Wow what a great article, thanks for sharing @Christy!