Benefits of doing Accredited Professional course?

Hi There,

I am looking to do the Green Building Council’s Accredited Professional (AP) course. Can anyone give me some information on it, as well as the benefits of becoming an AP? Is it a good introduction to the green building industry in South Africa?

Thanks!

Hi Dominique,

Yes, the GBC’s AP course is a fantastic introduction to the green building industry in South Africa. Not only does it give you an great overview of the economics of green building and the array of benefits for the owners, but you’ll also get a thoroughly introduction to the Green Star certification system. The course covers the ratings tool in detail and gives you a great understanding of how the certification process works.

Some courses have face-to-face workshops, whilst others are completed online. At the face-to-face workshops you will have an opportunity to get stuck into interesting debates and discussions with other professionals, as well as with the GBCSA staff who attend and deliver the course.

As a practicing green building consultant whose completed three AP courses, I would certainly recommend taking it. I must advise though that you should do some research prior to the course so that you’re not completely behind when you attend it. The GBCSA website has great information on green buildings and the AP course.

Also, if you are wanting to become a green building consultant and work on Green Star projects in South Africa, then its required that you become an accredited professional. You will not be able to submit projects to the GBCSA without this accreditation, so also keep that in mind :slight_smile:

Which of the AP courses are you thinking of doing? Any ones in particular that interest you? (e.g. New Builds, Interiors or Existing Building Performance)

Devan

Thank’s Devan that’s great advice. I am relatively familiar with the Green Star system already through my research, but would like to expand my knowledge in this area to be more competent and knowledgeable. I am quite interested in the Existing Building Performance AP course, as implementing innovative technologies and systems into existing building interests me. Thanks again for the help.

Dominique

Hi Dominique

I attended the New Buildings AP course in October last year as a complete new comer to the industry and found it extremely interesting. These courses are the perfect introduction to Green Building whether you are looking to become an AP or not.